Friday, May 11, 2012

Bionicle Logo







Back in 1999 a lot of different name suggestions were on my table but there was something special about the combination of biological chronicle, Bio-nicle.
The acceptance and approval of the name went incredible fast and then it was just the matte of giving it a graphic form. It had to look epic and timeless so I chose the classic typography Trajan that originates from the Trajan column in Rome and reworked it a bit and gave it a 3D stone carved effect in Photoshop. 

4 comments:

  1. Been bugging me for years and years and years. It's honestly not based on the sensible and apparent combination: "Bionic" and "Chronicle"?
    aaaaaugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that it could just as well have been made from Bionic. But looking back I know that “biological” was what stood just next to Chronicle on the notepaper.
      When I look at the word now I actually like Biological better than Bionic since Bionic is made from biology + electronics which is not the case with Bionicle whereas Biological (according to Wiki) is a natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, distribution, and taxonomy.
      Bionicle is exactly that. It is the story about a living building system made to create living creatures and the epic evolution it has been and will go through.

      Delete
  2. Simply astonishing. I love how you created the Logo to on of the most influential toy properties in the last decade. This helped ground it in a reality, while at the same time showing some mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember now of the Bionicle's logo apparead in the Toa Mata's videos. It's was so beateful. Thanks for the precision about the biological+chronicle. I knew before but I' asked why biological.

    ReplyDelete